Please change your location to view this page.
This page contains content that does not match your current location
IT agreements are often vitally important to not-for-profits. Common IT agreements include:
- software licences
- web-hosting agreements
- cloud services agreements
- database management agreements
- internet service agreements, and
- telephone or other communication agreements.
There are some specific legal issues that arise with IT agreements, especially when an Australian organisation is entering an agreement with a provider overseas.
It is always important to read the terms of the agreement. Issues to look out for include:
- rolling contracts (where if you sign up for one year, the contract will automatically renew unless you give notice)
- overseas providers - this can mean if you have an issue with your service, it can be harder to enforce your rights under the contract
- indemnities and limitations of liability, and
- data security and compliance with Australian privacy laws.
Not-for-profit Law will shortly publish a comprehensive Guide to IT agreements. Subscribe to our Update (in the footer below) to find out when this new Guide is published.
ImproveIT features resources to help community and health organisations understand information and communication technology.